Monday, June 15, 2015

I'm like an elephant, but cuter!

Hi everyone!

So, due to some technical difficulties, this keyboard that I'm typing on will not allow me to type certain letters/symbols. So, it it looks a little weird, it is haha.

This week has been pretty fun. It's been a super fun week because we got a car! Granted, it's only because Sister Isert isn't allowed to bike for a couple of weeks due to an injury, but it's been a major blessing! It's been so hot and biking around in this weather is no bueno. SO, a car has been lovely.

We met with both Stephanie and Quinn this week and they are both so excited and so ready to be baptized! Sister Isert and I will be singing at Stephanie's baptism on the 30th, then at our Mission Leadership Meeting on July 3rd and again on the 4th of July for a Chinese cultural celebration. We learned "I am a Child of God" in Mandarin and Cantonese. It's going to be super fun!

These past few weeks have been a bit of a blur. We had exchanges this week and I got to go to the Spanish Branch with Sister Vargas. It was really cool to spend most of the day in Spanish work and by the end of the day, I understood much more Spanish and I could speak at least a little bit more than I used to. I knew enough to say the closing prayer in Spanish in 2 of our lessons and it was super awesome! Our dinner was with Hermana Zalgado and she made us some super delicious tostadas! They weren't tex-mex tostadas, they were spicy chicken tostadas. They were absolutely delicious! But there's a funny story attached to this dinner. So, when Hermana Zalgado dished us up, she gave us 4 tosdadas each. Well, I've been raised to clean my plate, so I ate all of them. Of course, these tostadas weren't just any tostadas. Each one was about as big as my hand, with my fingers fully extended, and all were piled high with this spicy chicken. So, I ate 4 and then Hermana Zalgado asked for my plate. Me being the gringo that I am, I thought she was just clearing it for me. Then I look back at the stove and she's dishing me up more tostadas!!! I turned to Sister Vargas and asked if she could see how many more she was giving me. Sister Vargas turns around, snorts, and starts laughing! I asked her what had happened and she said that Hermana Zalgado was dishing me 4 more tostadas!! Despite the deliciousness of these marvelous tostadas, I thought I was going to die! I was already super full from the first 4 and then Hermana Zalgado plops my plate in front of me with the sweetest smile ever, and I knew I had to eat more. I ate 7 tostadas. 7 MASSIVE tostadas. The Lord loves his missionaries and definitely blesses them with stomachs that can down all of that food. It was delicious, but I was so full! I got the recipe, though, so I'll be able to make you all these authentic tostadas when I get home.

I love you all and want you all to know that I pray for you daily and that I'm so grateful to be here in Scottsdale! I wouldn't be a missionary for this church if I didn't know, with all my heart, that it's the restored church of Jesus Christ. I know it, and I know that God knows it, and I can't deny it.

Love,
Steph

PS the title comes from a wonderful quote by Sister Isert

No comments:

Post a Comment